In this blog post I am going to discuss one of the most important topics relating to internet, which is – What is a Virus? And how to secure your computer from it?
Virus is a program which disrupts the normal functioning of your computer systems. Computers attached to internet are more prone to virus attacks and they can end up into crashing your whole hard disk. Spyware is software that keeps a watch on user’s Internet activities. This can include personal information entered such as credit card and banking numbers as well as web site visits. The information is gathered and transmitted over the Internet to a receiving source. This happens without the user knowledge as it uses their computer’s resources for its own purpose.
Anti-virus software is a program or set of programs that are designed to prevent, search for, detect, and remove software viruses, and other malicious software like worms, trojans, adware, and more.
Signs that your computer is affected by virus:
- If your computer is running more slowly than it does normally – particularly if you are not running any CPU-heavy tasks or program applications – a virus may be at the root of the problem
- Your computer has become unstable or keeps crashing
- Files won’t open, go missing, or new ones appear. A virus may prevent specific folders or files from opening, or can cause them to disappear – even though you have taken no actions to remove them.
- If your antivirus program is inexplicably deactivated or won’t run, or if you are unable to install new free antivirus download or an update to your current antivirus program, this is a tell-tale sign that your computer has been infected\
- Your antivirus software tells you that you have a virus.
Here are eight important safety precautions you need to take:
- Install antivirus download, anti-spyware and firewall protection.
- Make antivirus scans routine. Run a full virus scan once a week to pick up on any viruses, worms, spyware, or other threats.
- Keep your virus definitions up-to-date. If possible, opt for your antivirus software to automatically install new virus definitions to your computer.
- Employ spam blocking or filtering tools to block unsolicited emails or instant messages. .
- Don’t open unknown e-mail attachments or emails from unknown sources. One of the most common ways people wind up with a computer virus is by downloading an infected attachment from an email. Make sure you recognize the email sender and don’t open any suspicious attachments or hyperlinks, regardless of who sent you the message.
- Avoid peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing websites
- Avoid clicking on pop-up ads
- Don’t conduct online financial transactions from a public computer or wireless network.
- Create strong passwords
Here are the best antivirus softwares 2014
Viruses, spyware, hackers, phishing sites – the web is a dangerous place, and every PC owner needs effective, reliable antivirus software to keep them safe. But this software can be expensive, especially as you’ll pay again to update the package, each and every year. Fortunately there is plenty of free antivirus software like Avast Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus Free, ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall, Avira Free Antivirus, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition. Installation of these software can save you substantial money.
Let me know if you had a bad experience in regards to computer virus and how did you got rid of it?
Take Care 🙂