Instagram is a mega-social network that every parent needs to be aware of. Instagram is a photo editing and sharing ‘app’ that allows users to edit photos taken on their phone and post them to sites like Facebook and Twitter with the click of a button. Instagram photos are open to the public by default and Instagram lets users browse public photos posted by others and by people whom they follow. Users are also able to record and share short videos lasting for up to 15 seconds.
Here are some points which we help you to understand Instagram in detail:
– Instagram has always been an almost exclusively mobile platform. Therefore, you must download the iPhone or Android app to your device in order to register an Instagram account. Instagram accounts are public by default, but you may select to create a private account.
– Since Instagram doesn’t have a web-hosted feed of photos, you’ll be doing most of your browsing on mobile. For that reason, you may choose to enrich your mobile experience by setting up push notifications. Different push notification available
- When a user likes or comments on one of your photos.
- When a user @mentions you in a comment.
- When your photo is posted to the Popular page.
- When you are tagged in a photo
– You may choose to link Instagram to your Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, Tumblr, Flickr, VK, Mixi and Weibo accounts (the latter two apply only to iPhone users in Japan and China, respectively).
– Each time you upload a photo to Instagram, you’ll have the option to share to each of the social networks you’ve enabled, or to none.
– Instagram has minimal editing abilities, but it does give you some. You can choose to rotate your photo, add a frame, create a blurring effect, or brighten the photo by selecting each of the corresponding icons on the screen.
– User can add hashtags and @mention people.
– If you’ve enabled location services, you even have the option to tag where you took the photo.
– The way your photo appears when posted depends on the style of the social network to which you post. When sharing to Facebook, your Instagram photo will appear in the News Feed with the attached caption.
– You can follow your friends and celebrities also.
– Instagram does a great job curating suggested users and trending photos.
– Top ten countries on Instagram for 2013
1. United States
6. United Kingdom
– Interesting stats about Instagram
- 150 Million Monthly Active Users
- 16 Billion Photos Shared in total
- 1.2 Billion Likes and 55 Million Photos shared every day
- 69% of the registered users are active on a monthly basis, 34 of them use Instagram every day.
- People have shared 16 billion posts (photos + videos) through Instagram.
- Every day 55 million of posts are shared, 1.2 billion of Likes are given and 1000 comments are posted every second.
- 83% of posts include an hashtag: the most used is #love (more than 372 million times).
- The most mentioned brand is Nike (20 million hashtag): Nike is the more popular brand too (merging followers and interactions related to it).
- 66% of people follow a brand on Instagram because they want to be rewarded, and 43% of users declare to follow a brand’s account because they love it.
- Videos ensure 2x more interactions than photos.
- 6% of total videos on Instagram are published by brands.
- 257 minutes is the average time that people spend on Instagram (compared to 170 minutes on Twitter).
– Instagram has also introduced Instagram Video, click here to know more -> Video on Instagarm
– For details on how to use Instagram, please check this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Instagram
– Also there are apps available in the market which can be downloaded to add an extra kick to your shots before uploading photos to the Instagram feed. Here are some great choices if you want to fiddle around with your images: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/useful-instagram-apps/
I will let you know , few tips on how to use Instagram wisely ( which you can discuss with your kid too) in my next post.