Let’s take Apple CEO Steve Jobs as an example. In January 2011 Apple filed a complaint against the owner of a parody Twitter account. By the time Twitter suspended the account three months later, it had attracted 650,000 followers called @CeoSteveJobs.In one of the quarterly reports, Facebook revealed that 83m facebook profiles were fake-http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/aug/02/facebook-83m-profiles-bogus-fake
One of the most important thing parents/seniors needs to teach his child is to spot a fake account. Search a fake account and discuss about it with your child.Guide him on how he can identify a fake account. Here are some key features of a fake profile on a website.
– The profile is almost empty
When it comes to any kind of social networking website, usually real person always takes the time to fill out their online profile. Even if they were to put it off the first day they joined, a real person would go back later to fill out any information they have missed.You can keep this in mind when you accept a friend request.
– Occupation is modeling
It seems that most people who are representing fake identities always choose the modeling occupation.
– Has only one picture
If they represent themselves using just one picture more than likely it can be a fake profile
– Profile has links to adult websites
If you are talking to fake profile, you will notice that they have an URL in their profile that links to an adult related website.
– They try to get sympathy, create drama, talk how life is cruel with them, etc
One of the biggest signs to determine whether someone is fake or real has a lot to do with their overall character. If one of their goals is to create drama for no reason more than likely they are misrepresenting the individual in the pictures and are highly fake, as a result.
So how to spot a fake Facebook profile?
Here are some points which you can keep in mind while identifying a fake profile of Facebook.
– Locate the Profile image of the Facebook profile you want to check. Right-click on the image and save it. Now search for this image on Google images. If it is a fake profile you will find this image present on many Facebook profiles and also on other places on Internet. Also don’t forget to delete this image from your desktop!
– Fake profile owner will often create interests and activities that mirror your own in order to start a conversation.
– When you get a friend request from a stranger, check if you have a mutual friend(s). If you have, you can get more details about this person from your friend before accepting his request. Sometimes even your friend can accept an imposter’s request, so think twice before accepting this request.
– Fake profile mostly keep their gender as female.
– Check out their photos. A real person will often have pictures with friends and family along with comments.
– Imposters will often try to interact with your own friends and family members to create a broader sense of familiarity and build up a broader network of trust.
– If an imposter is harassing you, report the same to facebook authorities and also to seniors in your family.
Take Care 🙂